Want to know how to increase HGH (human growth hormone) levels through healthy eating? Check out these foods and nutrients to incorporate into your diet plan.
How to Increase HGH Levels Through Healthy Dieting
1. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that plays a vital role in regulating human growth hormone levels, even in children.
A study on 39 adults reveals that weekly exposure to 5,000 and 7,000 IU of vitamin D3 for 12 weeks can boost IGF1 levels. Subjects with growth hormone or GH deficiency also responded well to the treatment.
If you want to boost human growth hormone levels, try to get at least 400-800 IU of vitamin D every day. For residents living in sunny, tropical areas, getting enough vitamin D shouldn’t be an issue.
You can probably get half of the daily dose you need just by going for a one-hour walk.
For those who live in colder, cloudier regions, however, you might have to rely more on vitamin D-enriched foods such as:
- Egg Yolks: Egg yolks are a very potent source of vitamin D. Just 100 grams already has 218 IU of vitamin D. But be careful not to eat too many egg yolks as these can spike your cholesterol levels.
- Beef Liver: Beef liver has about 40-50 IU of vitamin D per serving of 100 grams. Similar to egg yolks, beef liver is high in cholesterol so you shouldn’t solely rely on it for your daily dose of vitamin D.
- Fatty Fishes: Salmon, mackerel, tuna, and other fatty fish are rich in vitamin D. Unlike its meat counterparts, fish are rich in good cholesterol that promotes heart health. You can include fatty fish in your daily diet without worrying about your cholesterol levels spiking.
Dopamine Definition: A neurotransmitter that mediates the feelings of pleasure. It’s released when the brain sends signals to the muscle system.
Apart from making you feel good, the release of dopamine also triggers natural HGH production. After stimulating production, the brain sends these newly produced batch of human growth hormone compounds to your muscle mass.
Some foods that stimulate the production and release of dopamine include:
- Lean Beef: Amino acids such as tyrosine in high-protein foods like beef can stimulate the release of dopamine. For best results, consume a large part of your daily protein intake at breakfast.
- Avocado: If you want to boost your human growth hormone levels, switch from saturated fats to the healthy fats found in avocados. Studies show that saturated fats can reduce the release of dopamine.
Tip: A reliable way to boost your dopamine levels naturally is to exercise regularly.
A few minutes of jogging, cycling, swimming, and high-intensity interval training can already release a good amount of dopamine. It can also drastically improve one’s athletic performance, stimulate muscle growth, and speed up weight loss.
L-arginine is a chain of powerful amino acids that play an important role in protein synthesis and the release of human growth hormones in the body. Studies even show that oral L-arginine alone can already spike one’s human growth hormone levels by at least 100%.
To get more L-arginine, make sure you add these foods to your diet:
- Turkey: Turkey breast has the highest L-arginine content among the other HGH releasers on this list. It also has other nutrients such as protein, vitamin B, and omega-3 fatty acids that can contribute to your well-balanced diet.
- Chicken: One whole chicken breast contains almost half the amount of L-arginine that turkey meat offers. It also constitutes 70% of your daily protein requirement. Chicken is also a good substitute for turkey because it’s much cheaper and more accessible.
- Peanuts: Two cups of peanuts can give you just as much L-arginine as one chicken breast can. What you can do is pack them in an airtight ziplock bag so you’ll have something healthy to snack on throughout the day.
Similar to L-arginine, L-glutamine is an amino acid that stimulates the release of human growth hormones. These HGH boosters can be found in food options such as:
- Meat: Animal meat, such as beef, chicken, and lamb, are all excellent sources of L-glutamine. Generally, any meal high in protein should also be rich in the amino acids glutamine and arginine.
- Saltwater Fish: All kinds of fish are excellent sources of glutamine, but saltwater fish have higher levels than freshwater fish does. Tuna, snappers, anchovies, sardines, and salmon are some saltwater fish you can add to your diet.
- Red Cabbage: Red cabbage is one of the best sources of glutamine. Note that cabbage is best eaten raw because grilling and boiling it strips away its most important nutrients.
- Beans: Vegetarians who don’t eat fish and meat can turn to beans for their daily dose of glutamine. You can use soybeans and kidney beans as a filler for all your meals.
Melatonin is a hormone naturally secreted by the pineal gland, which is in charge of controlling the amount of melatonin the body secretes daily. It’s a powerful antioxidant that supports good eye health, eases heartburn, alleviates symptoms of stomach ulcers, and recently, research suggests that it can also boost human growth hormone levels.
A study on eight healthy male adults shows that melatonin consumption increases basal growth hormone release and GHRH responsiveness.
Some foods that can stimulate melatonin production include:
- Nuts: Almonds and walnuts are both high in melatonin. A handful of these is enough to spike your hormone levels.
- Berries: The best berries to eat to increase melatonin levels are raspberries and cherries. Apart from boosting HGH levels, you can also use its melatonin compounds to induce sleepiness. Pop a few of these berries before bedtime for a deeper slumber.
Overall, the best way to increase HGH levels naturally is to stick and commit to your diet, no excuses. That’s why it’s important to create a program that consists of meals you enjoy eating and would never get sick of.
Feel free to search for different recipes that make use of human growth hormone level-increasing foods. You can also mix and combine the different food options mentioned above to create your own unique recipes.
Do you have any questions on how to increase HGH levels? Please post them in the comments section below!