The immune system helps fight and protect the body from illnesses. But how is it possible to boost the immune system? Read on to learn more about immunity-boosting tips!
In this article:
- What is the Immune System?
- How Does the Immune System Work?
- How to Boost the Immune System Naturally?
What Is The Immune System?
The immune system is the system of defense made of cells and proteins that defends the body against illnesses. The immune system has properties that actively fight infections and viruses.
How Does The Immune System Work?
The immune system is designed to recognize harmful substances such as bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc. and fight them. These substances are called antigens.
Once the antigens attach to particular receptors in the body, the immune system activates itself and fights antigens. If the same antigens enter the body again, the immune system fights and recovers faster.
How To Boost Immune System Naturally
You can change several things in your life and in your diet to boost your immune system. It’s essential to have a strong immune system to stay healthy. Here are 5 tips on how to boost immunity
1. EAT A HEALTHY BALANCED DIET
Foods are very important for the immune system. Eating a variety of fruits, whole grains, vegetables, and lean protein will help boost your immune system. Also, foods that contain Omega-3 fatty acids (avocado, eggs, salmon) can help maintain a healthy weight.
Adding the following foods in your diet can help to boost the immune system better;
- Citrus Fruits, grapefruit, lemon, lime, tangerine, orange, clementine are all known to be very rich in Vitamin C, which is an essential nutrient for your immune system.
- Garlic Garlic contains allicin when crushed or chopped, which is an immune-boosting nutrient.
- Broccoli is very beneficial because it contains high levels of Vitamin A, E, and C, antioxidants, and fiber. It is a very beneficial food for overall health.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in phosphorus, magnesium, antioxidants, Vitamin E, and Vitamin B6; therefore, they are great for your immune system.
- Yogurt is full of beneficial bacterias, which can nourish the gut and in turn boost the immunity system.
- Red Bell Pepper can help boost the immune system with its high levels of beta carotene and Vitamin C.
Exercising moderately can help maintain a healthy immune system. Moderate exercise can reduce inflammation and help immune cells to regenerate faster.
Overdoing exercise could have adverse effects.
Inadequate or poor sleep can cause a higher risk of getting sick. By maintaining a proper sleep schedule and getting enough sleep, you can help your immune system to get stronger.
Infants require up to 14 hours of sleep per day, while teenagers need 8-10 hours and 7-9 hours for adults.
Dehydration can cause health complications such as; headaches, poor performance, bad mood, kidney problems, etc. and such health complications can make the body more vulnerable against illnesses.
Drinking enough water is very important for overall health.
5. VITAMIN INTAKE
Vitamin C, E, and B6 are all known to be beneficial to the immune system. These vitamins can be obtained from a healthy diet, but for those who lack these vitamins, taking supplements could be beneficial.
But taking too many vitamin supplements can have side effects; therefore, we recommend our readers to consult a doctor before starting to take vitamin supplements.
Stress takes a toll on every age group. Chronic stress can suppress the effectiveness of the immune system and make it difficult for the immune system to fight antigens. That’s why managing stress is vital to boost your immune system.
Stress can also be harmful indirectly if a person deals with stress in unhealthy coping ways such as drinking and smoking.
Try connecting with friends and family members when stressed, meditation, reduce smoking and drinking, self-care routines, and art can help reduce stress.
We hope that these tips on how to boost the immune system will help our readers to get healthier both physically and mentally. Having a robust immune system is very important to stay healthy, so don’t forget to share these tips with your family and friends.
Share your ideas with us! What do you do to boost your immune system? Tell us in the comments section!