If low libido is hurting your relationship, then it is time for a hormone boost or a change of lifestyle.
Low Libido in Men: Causes and Treatment Options
What Does Having Low Libido Mean?
Having a low libido means having decreased interest in sex and/or intimacy. This may create relationship tension and guilt and trust issues between partners.
It is important to note, however, that low libido is different from erectile or sexual dysfunction. These two male sexual problems can co-exist—one may cause the other and vice versa.
What Are the Causes of Low Libido in Men?
Loss of libido or decreased sex drive in men is mainly attributed to low sex hormone levels, particularly testosterone levels (a condition called hypogonadism). This male sex hormone stimulates the brain to dilate penile blood vessels, which results in an erection.
Other factors that may cause decreased libido in men are:
- Andropause (between the age of 40 and 55)
- Hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD)
- High levels of estrogen which overpowers the effects of testosterone
- Low prolactin levels
- High cortisol levels
- Low thyroid hormone levels
- Having kids
- Antidepressants like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Over-the-counter medications like cimetidine
- Cardiovascular drugs
- Chronic illness which disrupts the production of sex hormones
- Sleep disorder
- High blood pressure
- Obesity or weight gain
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Low self-esteem or poor body image
- Sexual dysfunction, e.g. erection problems
- Unbalanced diet
- Lack of exercise
How Can You Increase Libido?
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a top treatment recommendation for low libido in men. One of the specific approaches of HRT is testosterone therapy. This treatment introduces the male hormone into the system through a transdermal patch, an injection, or a topical gel.
HRT benefits may include:
- Boosted energy and mood
- Increased libido
- Restored sexual functioning
- Faster sexual arousal
- Improved sex life
- Strong muscles and bones
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease
Is Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe?
HRT is safe when administered and monitored by a licensed and expert practitioner.
Other Natural Ways to Increase Libido in Men
- Practice open communication with your partner.
- Set quality time together, e.g. regular date nights, exercise together, find a mutual hobby, etc.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Try counseling with a licensed therapist.
- Have a regular sleeping pattern, and make sure you get enough sleep and rest.
- Try taking herbal supplements.
- Focus on and improve foreplay.
- Stop drinking alcohol and/or smoking.
Low libido in men is not just about erectile dysfunction. This health and well-being issue encompasses physical, emotional, social, and psychological factors you and your partner should deal with together with a licensed health practitioner. Talking to an expert will help address the cause with a suitable treatment.
What are your thoughts or concerns on hormone replacement therapy? Leave us a note, and we’ll try our best to address them.